Monday 30 November 2009

BT Openzone - king of annoyances.

I'm learning to love BT Openzone. In a "I'm starting to really really hate BT Openzone sort of way". Since a BT Openzone hotspot comes "free" with every BT router, there are rather a lot of them dotted around the place, they show up like weeds every time your computer scans for available wireless networks. Leaving aside the fact that fairly regularly my own BT broadband bandwidth isn't exactly up to snuff, I'm not keen on the idea of random strangers helping themselves to what little I sometimes have so I feel I should expect others to feel the reverse.

But that's not my main gripe.

Out and about with my iPhone I do rely on the speed and connectivity of the 3G network. So why, in 3G areas can I not always send and receive mail? Because my iPhone has detected and glommed onto an openzone network, which appears open but in fact requires a log in and credits to actually use. So I can't. Nor can I send any mails until I manually switch wireless off on my iPhone. Which means I have to remember to switch it back on when I get home. And that should I stumble upon one of the dying band or hippies that still believe in open wireless networks I can't use that without remembering to switch wireless back on.

I'm sure there's not a lot to be done about it. BT seems intent on rolling out BT Openzone and the new nano cells will only make things worse. Here's hoping Apple can offer an option to block Openzone networks from clogging up my phone.

No comments: